The ISJO has a second core function of collaboration with the following objectives:
To interact strongly with other spheres of government and other regional groupings.
To provide for the exchange and recognition of information and ideas amongst member Councils and other agencies.
- Collaborate with partners to develop a framework to support regional economic growth.
- Partner with NSW and Australian Government, and other organisations, to develop a Youth Education and Employment Strategy.
- Work with Transport NSW and other partners to deliver the Illawarra Regional Transport Strategy.
- Work with relevant partners to plan for and deliver improved telecommunications infrastructure.
- Share information to increase understanding of regional land use planning challenges, opportunities and responses.
- Work with the OLG and other pilot JOs to help develop the legislative model for JOs.
- Reach a common understanding between the Councils of what the enhancing regional strategic capacity function means for the ISJO, as well as opportunities and priorities.
- Reach a common understanding between Councils of opportunities and priorities for the ISJO in the regional service delivery function.
It has identified a number of key partners, including State and Federal MPs and MLCs and Senators, key state government agencies, and other regional organisations. Focus of collaboration includes these Partnership Activities.